All About Fenugreek Gum Powder
Fenugreek is a plant that grows annually in the family Fabacae . It is a semi arid crop that has small rounded leaves, and cuboid- shaped yellow seeds. The plant is cultivated throughout the world .It is indigenous in the Mediterranean and grown widely across Europe and Asia, with India as the largest producer of Fenugreek .Fenugreek seeds have a sweet, nutty taste similar to the taste of maple, this taste is used to mask the taste of medicine.
Cultivation of Fenugreek seeds.
Fenugreek plant grows to about 60cms with white flowers and yellow seed pods. It thrives where there is full sun and well drained, slightly acidic soil.
The seeds are planted in spring to avoid the risk of frost .they are sown to the length of a quarter an inch. The planters invest in a lot of compost; because the plant likes fertile soil when sowing the planters separate the seeds by about five inches.
The plant may need some weeding once or twice during its early stages of growth. The soil should remain moisturized throughout the planting season. The first irrigation is given to the plant immediately after sowing and subsequent irrigation is given at an interval of seven to ten days.
Processing of Fenugreek Gum Powder from Fenugreek seeds.
The process of making fenugreek powder from the fenugreek seeds involves the following steps:
- The seeds are placed in a heavy bottomed pan preferably one made from cast iron.
- The seeds are then roasted over a low flame, while constantly stirring. Roasting reduces the bitterness of the seeds making it more palatable as well as adding flavor to it.
- When the seeds are nicely browned remove from the heat and allow them to cool.
- The seeds are then placed into a mixer which grinds the seeds to powder. Thereafter, a whizz is used to make the powder finer.
- The powder is then stored in a tight jar and can be used for weeks on end.
Properties of Fenugreek Gum Powder
• Fenugreek gum powder is tasteless and odorless.
• The powder contains galactomannan which has the viscosity property which can turn milk into ice-cream, cocoa into chocolate and forms gum when dissolved in water.
• The gum is an emulsifier which is capable of mixing water and oil. This comes from the fact that fenugreek gum powder is a combination of galactose which has the hydrophilic property and mannan which is hydrophobic.
Medicinal and other uses of Fenugreek Gum Powder
Fenugreek gum powder is used to treat a wide range of ailments both as a herb and in I powder form. Due to its many medicinal properties, Fenugreek gum powder is used in tablets and capsules. Some of the conditions that the seed remedies include: constipation, stomach upset as well as the swelling of the stomach. Other medical conditions that it treats include conditions such as hardening of the arteries which affects the hear it’s also used to control high levels of cholesterol and other fats in the blood. Fenugreek also treats kidney problems, beriberi , chapped lips, tuberculosis .bronchitis and for lowering blood levels for diabetic people.:
The fenugreek powder is used in the preparation of food such as pickles as well as vegetable dishes. Fenugreek seeds can be used both in whole and in powdered form. They are roasted to reduce the bitterness and also to enhance the flavor. Soloton is the chemical substance in the seeds that is responsible for the distinctive smell of the plant.
The seeds are known to be galactagogue which is used commonly in the increase of milk supply especially in lactating women.
In Asian countries the leaves are used as vegetables.
5. In the manufacturing industry extracts from fenugreek are used to make soaps and cosmetics.
Fenugreek gum powder has had a lot of positive influence in both the health and manufacturing sectors. It has a wide range of medical uses as earlier discussed. Fenugreek products and extracts also influence the manufacturing industry .Compared to the other gums, e.g. locust bean and guar gum; fenugreek gum has superior qualities and is therefore used more commonly in many industries. For more information about Fenugreek gum powder please visits: https://www.altrafine.com/fenugreek-gum-powder.html
This Article has been written & posted by Ajit Patel.