Locust Bean Gum Powder and Guar Gum Powder are been used in industries. This gum powder is used as a natural food additive, thickening agents in different industries. Moreover, they differ from each other with their properties as well as functionalities. But on the contrary, they have some significant health benefits as well. Let’s have a look at some of about the difference between locust bean gum powder and guar gum powder, an intriguing yet often overlooked ingredient.
Following shows the difference between locust bean gum powder and guar gum powder –
- Locust gum powder is best known for its thickening agent and is also known as carob bean gum, carob gum and carobin, that comes from the seeds of the carob tree whereas guar gum also known as guaran comes from the seed of the guar plant, Cyanaposis tetragonolobus, family Leguminosae.
- Comparatively, locust bean gum powder is hot soluble whereas guar gum powder is cold soluble.
- The main difference between these gums is the dosage to achieve the same viscosity. Higher dosage for viscosity is used for locust bean gum powder as compared to guar gum powder.
- LBG is only slightly soluble in room temperature water as compared to guar gum powder.
- Other difference shows that LBG does not gel on its own but forms a gel with other hydrocolloids as compared to guar gum powder
- Bot gums are the polysaccharide, where guar gum is compost of linear D-mannose units joined by 1, 4-β-glycosidic linkages whereas LBG is composed of galactose and mannose units combined through glycosidic linkages.
- The ratio of galactose to mannose to in LBG is higher as compared to guar gum powder with different properties. The ratio for locust bean gum is 1:4, whereas the chemical ratio for guar gum is 1:2.
- The pH value for guar gum powder ranges from 1.0–10.5 whereas for LBD the pH value ranges from 5.4 and 7.0
- Synergistic interact of guar gum with xanthan gum gives higher viscosity than individual gum, whereas hot solutions of LBG with xanthan gum forms a strong elastic gel on cooling
- Chemical structure of the gums varies as guar gum has a higher degree of galactose side chain than LBG.
This is how locust bean gum powder differs from guar gum powder. Along with this, these gum powders also have some of the similar uses as well as properties. Both the gum powders as used as thickening agents, food additives in food industries including other industries like the textile industry, chemical industry and many more industries. They are also having with some of the health benefits.
Altrafine Gums is one of the leading exporters for providing high-quality gum powder that is been used in different industries. Along with guar gum powder, locust bean powder we also export different products that include cassia gum powder, fast hydration guar gum powder, sesbania gum powder, Psyllium husk & powder, animal feed products and many more products. Contact us today for other products and get acquainted of with the gum powder that is been used in different industries.