Guar Gum is derived from the guar seeds has a high viscosity as compared to other hydrocolloids. It is a polysaccharide that is of high galactose and mannose and is been an effective binder, plasticizer, stabilizer, and emulsifier in different industries. Different industries like food, animal feed, textile, pharmaceuticals, personal care use guar gum powder as stabilizer and thickeners
The primary purpose of guar gum powder in ice cream is to increase mix viscosity that helps to produce the smooth & creamy structure. There are many other functions that are been attributed to enhance the viscosity of the ice cream
Guar gum powder helps to increase the viscosity of ice cream. As the viscosity increases in ice cream, the smoothness of texture and resistance to melting increases.
- Stabilizers in ice cream help to improve creaminess and reduce wateriness in ice cream
- Guar gum is also been found economical as it has higher water thickening potential up to eight times more than cornstarch
- Provides resistance to melting and reduces ice and lactose crystal growth during storage
- Prevents wheying off as well as shrinkage during storage. Wheying off can be defined as leakage of watery serum layer during the melting of the ice cream.
- Research showed that guar gum as a polysaccharide used at a concentration of 0.2% produces good quality of ice cream
- The mixer of a composition of stabilizer and other contents helps to maintain the viscosity of the ice cream
- Guar gum contributes to good sensory qualities like a mouthfeel and helps to release flavor in ice cream.
- It adds other functionality like slow and uniform meltdown, stiffness, prevents shrinkage, enhancing whip ability etc.
- It also helps to decrease the fat content with increase in water concentration in the formulation
How much amount of guar gum powder is used in ice cream?
In order to get effective body, texture, meltdown and stability property, studies show that 0.2-0.5 % of guar gum powder as a stabilizer is been used in the ice cream mix
Special Properties of Guar Gum Powder in Food Industry
• Thickening agent
• Stabilizing agent
Guar Gum Powder in Other Food Products
- Used as moisture preserving & fat retarding agent in bakery
- Helps in reducing water and oil separation in sauces and salads
- Produces highest grade confectionary
- Lower calories in beverages
- Used as a thickener in pet food
There are also other different types of stabilizers available in the market, but one of the most commonly used is the guar gum powder. Apart from this, guar gum powder is also been used in medicinal purpose that includes slimming aids, anti-acid formulations, suspensions etc. and also been used in other industries as well. Altrafine Gum offers with high-quality guar gum powder to be used as a stabilizer in the production of ice cream. Along with guar gum powder, our other products include fast hydration guar gum powder, cassia tora powder, sesbania gum powder, and many other products. To know more about guar gum powder, contact us today and get acquainted with our other products.