Cumin seeds are one of the routinely used ingredients that are widely used in India, the Middle East, and North Africa etc. This cumin and other value-added products from cumin are used in food flavoring and perfumery. Cumin contains cumin aldehyde i.e. the major active principle and volatile oil. It helps to form the main component for many spice mixes and curry powder. Additionally, there are also various health benefits of cumin seeds.
The scientific name of cumin is Cuminum cyminum L and is known as Jeera, Zeera or Saffaid Jeera in Hindi. The exterior of the fruit has 5 primary edges and the plant is 15-50 cm high. The flower of the plant is white or rose-colored. Cumin seed is one of the popular Indian spices and indispensable flavoring agents that is been used in different cuisines of the world. It gives a warm feeling of cooking like certain soups, curries etc.
Different health benefits of cumin seeds can be explained as follows-
- Cumin seeds are known for its antioxidant, anti-flatulent, carminative properties. They are an excellent source of dietary fiber.
- The active principles of cumin help in digestion by augmenting gastrointestinal juice (enzyme) secretions.
- It has an excellent source of minerals such as iron, calcium, potassium, zinc, magnesium and many more.
- Different minerals present in the seeds have various benefits like copper for production of red blood cells, iron for the formation of red blood cell, zinc regulates growth and development and potassium helps in controlling of heart rate and blood pressure.
- It contains B-complex vitamins and anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin A, E, and C.
- Cumin seeds are a rich source of carotenes, zeaxanthin, and lutein.
- Many components of cumin reduce the growth of foodborne bacteria and different kind of infectious fungi.
- It has an aromatic odor, bitter taste and is used as a condiment and seasonings in cakes, bread, cheese etc.
- It is also used as a stimulant, stomachic and astringent.
- It plays an important role in ayurvedic medicinal traditions like cumin along with ghee has various health benefits.
- A great herb for digestive disorders and plays an important role with its anti-bacterial property
These qualities of cumin seeds provide antioxidants, iron and potential benefits for controlling blood sugar. Other benefits include weight loss, improved blood cholesterol etc. There are also other health benefits of cumin seeds. For high-quality seeds, we at Altrafine Gums are bulk quantity exporter of cumin seeds that are useful in various industries. Along with this, we are also exporter and manufacturer of guar gum powder, fast hydration guar gum powder, cassia tora powder, Psyllium husk powder etc. For high-quality product contact us today and know more about how they are used in different industries.