Looking beautiful is a wish of almost every human being. Today, the increased use of cosmetic products has boosted the cosmetic industries.
No doubt, people look for a good product and are more concerned about the contents used in making of cosmetic products. The approach toward natural products has declined the use of the chemical based product.
If you are already rooted in the cosmetic industry then should know about the wonderful natural seed which works as a natural thickening agent in cosmetic products. Cassia tora or popularly recognized as Senna tora is a dicot legume which belongs to a subfamily of Caesalpinioideae. This naturally thickening agent is also available in other names – tora, sicklepod, coffee pod, and foetid cassia
What is Cassia Gum?
It’s certainly important to know about the ingredient which you are adding in your cosmetic products. The Cassia powder or gum is a polymer of galactose and mannose sugar. Cassia gum is a powder obtained from the endosperm of the seeds of Cassia tora. It has water solubility property which remarks it as an important additive in the cosmetic products.
This naturally thickening agent is yellow to off-white colour in appearance. When this natural ingredient is dissolved in hot water it turns into a thick gel.
Cassia tora even turns into a gel when gets in contact with xanthan and carrageenan.
Uses of Semi Refined Cassia gum in the cosmetic world:
Addition in shampoos and conditioners:
- The addition of Cassia tora powder in shampoos and conditioners provides softness and smoothness to the products.
- Use of cassia gum enhances viscosity and provides a thick paste-like form which prevents overuse of product meanwhile preserves the hair from damages as well. It makes the product, easy to use and apply.
- The natural ingredient develops a shielding film around the hairs to cover it from any kind of damage caused by other harmful chemicals.
- The outer layer built around the hair and some product retained on the strands prevents from the damage caused by blow-drying or heat application on hair.
Addition in face creams and skin lotions:
- Semi-refined Cassia Gum is added in creams and lotions to thicken them.
- This additive agent shields the skin from dry air and provides a glowing look for a complete day.
- The cassia powder is cationic in nature which binds with the anionic components of hair as well as skin. Hence it stays for a longer period of time.
- The natural agent provides viscosity and increases the shelf life of the products.
Addition of this natural gum in shaving gels:
- The use of a natural thickening agent provides creamlike texture to the shaving gels.
- The cassia gum present in the shaving gel creates a stabilized thin layer on the skin which smoothen the movement of the razor on the skin.
Addition in soaps:
- It is generally observed that the use of soap causes dryness on the skin which results in an itchy feeling.
- Use of cassia powder as an additive to liquid soaps increases the gel formation and develops a protective layer around the skin which locks the moisture and protects it from dry air.
- Cassia gum powder is also added in cosmetics like concealers, foundations etc to reduce surface tension and to provide a smooth texture to the product. It makes the product easy to use and allows the even spread over the face, ultimately providing a professional touch.
- If you are a brand lover and always opt for the best cosmetic product of the market, then you are well aware of the fact that good makeup products are costly.
- Addition of semi-refined cassia gum powder in cosmetic products increases the shelf life of the product. This additive is skin friendly and good for skin as well.